Monday, February 23, 2009

Dylan: Still awesome after all these years


Peace, love and rock ‘n roll. Those are the three words that can sum up my parents’ yesteryears, which they refer to often. Well, that’s what I hear from them when they’re reminiscing about the “good ol’ days,” filled with bell-bottoms, peace signs and the low-key music of Bob Dylan. When I heard about Dylan’s show, “Live at Newport,” (airing tonight at 10 p.m.), I couldn’t wait to let them know about it.

I myself am not the biggest Dylan fan, but I sure am surrounded by family and friends who can pick out his songs the second they hear them. I asked my mom to describe Bob Dylan in three words, and she said, “hippy,” “cool,” and “philosophical.” His smooth music would set my mom and her friends off into “a different world,” one full of peace, love and happiness.

A younger generation has taken a liking to his music as well. Tricia, my 21-year-old friend, is definitely a fan, and describes Dylan as “inspiring, a great artist,” adding that “his lyrics are poetic.” I can certainly agree with that. Like I said, I’m not Bob’s #1 fan, but I can say I enjoy it all: His music, his lyrics, my family and friends’ stories….If someone asked me to say something about Bob Dylan, I would say there’s something about him that helps people bond. There’s never rough ground when discussing him. Whenever I hear his name come up, I know there will always be a good time following. Through their own learning and listening or maybe hearing renditions of their parents’ good old stories, Dylan’s younger fan base respect and feel the same magic that our parents did.

Though Dylan is a little older now, he still puts on a great show. Old and new fans will gather to listen to him sing songs from the good ol’ days. Our parents will always see him as one of their favorite musicians but I would say we, as the younger generation, see him as a legend. What do you think of Dylan?


Krissy Leventis
Communications and Outreach Intern

No comments: